National Allium Research Conference (NARC)
Upcoming Meeting: Nov 29 – Dec 2, 2023 in San Antonio, TX
This will be a joint meeting between NARC and the National Onion Association (NOA). Research presentations will be scheduled for Wednesday afternoon, all day Thursday, and Friday morning. Friday afternoon there will be a field trip to visit production areas and the Texas A&M AgriLife Research Center at Uvalde, TX. Please note that the registration fee includes the opening reception on Wednesday PM, three breakfasts (Thursday, Friday and Saturday), two lunches (Thursday and Friday), and the field trip on Friday and the banquet on Friday evening. View the schedule (with presentations).
Researchers, educators, growers, and students have enthusiastically promoted and discussed alliums in local, regional, and national meetings for decades. In 1985 at a joint meeting with carrot and onion personnel in Phoenix, they formed a voluntary organization that became known as the National Allium Research Conference (NARC).
The NARC has served as a focal point for biennial conferences devoted to the allium plant species, and its improvement, management, and consumption in the United States and globally. Volunteers from the private sector, agribusinesses, universities, and the USDA unselfishly support and promote this open venue to their colleagues and others for the benefit of all.
Participants eagerly look forward to each biennial meeting that is rotated between different allium regions of the U.S. The NARC meetings have become a popular and efficient venue to link up with other allium-related organizations and national committees, including the multistate research projects, USDA Genetic Resources, regional and national research/extension projects; as well as to coordinate listening and strategy sessions dealing with priority issues such as impacts of water quality regulations, pesticide label changes and residue limits, and retirement drain on the future research, extension, and marketing of alliums.
Archives of past meetings
- 1985 NARC, Phoenix, AZ, Dec. 5-7, 1985
- 1987 NARC, Denver, CO, Dec. 10-12, 1987
- 1989 NARC, Boise, ID, Dec. 7-8, 1989
- 1991 NARC, Savannah, GA, Dec. 5-6, 1991
- 1993 NARC, Ithaca, NY, Dec. 9-11, 1993
- 1995 NARC, Madison, WI, Dec. 6-9, 1995
- 1998 NARC, Sacramento, CA, Dec. 10-12, 1998
- 2000 3rd Intl. Allium Conf Athens, GA, Oct. 30 – Nov. 3, 2000
- 2002 NARC, Pasco, WA, Dec. 11 – 14, 2002
- 2004 NARC, Grand Junction, CO, Dec. 8 – 10, 2004
- 2006 NARC, College Station, TX, Dec. 7 – 8, 2006
- 2008 NARC, Savannah, GA, Dec. 10 – 13, 2008
- 2010 NARC, Reno, NV, Dec. 8 – 10, 2010
- 2012 NARC, Las Cruces, NM, Dec. 11-14, 2012
- 2014 NARC/NOA, Scottsdale, AZ, Dec. 3-5, 2014
- 2016 NARC/NOA, Savannah, GA, Dec. 1-3, 2016
- 2019 IARC-NORC-NOA Madison, Wisconsin, July 24-27, 2019
- 2022 NARC/W3008/Stop-the-Rot meeting Denver, Colorado, February 28, 2022